Monday, February 9, 2009

the start of classes

So we arrived back from Berlin at around 11:30. Classes start at 9 am. Again, well planned. My first class is Foreign Policy Analysis. There are a lot of people in the class that I know, and the professor is really cool. It looks like you'll actually have to put a fair amount of effort into the class because he'll call you out on not knowing stuff. Even though it's pretty early, I decided I was going to keep it (and pegged myself at a B, B+ for the semester.)

After that was Dynamics of Integration: From the Marshall Plan to the Eastern Enlargement of the EU. I'm in two classes with this professor, this and Culture and Politics: A Quest for Civilizational Identities in a Post-National World. We had an academic advising meeting, and I was warned that this professor basically lectures for an hour and a half straight, but he's a genius and you'll learn a ton from him. For those of you from WM, the advising meeting basically leaves me expecting Jerry Bledsoe to come in and teach the class.

AND WHAT I GET IS EVEN BETTER. The man's hair clearly has not changed since the 1970s. He says his R's as W's (American W's, not German W's) and he talks for an hour straight. It's epic. However, I almost fall asleep. I decide to wait until tomorrow to see how is next class is going to be, because I'm not sure if I can handle two classes with him.

And then I have German. Same as always, but now it's only an hour long everyday.

The next day starts with Culture and Politics: A Quest for Civilizational Identities in a Post-National World. Instead of falling asleep, I pay attention for the whole class because it seems really interesting and I think I'll really like it. I do decide to drop the other class because I just can't handle two classes with this man (along with two 20-page term papers.)

After this, German again. Then I go to check out a class to replace the one I've dropped. I go to Regions of the EU. It's one of the only ones left that is upper-level government. The professor seems great (and full of sass for "the Jon," who walked in late) so I decide to switch to this. Luckily, Clay Clemens (the government department chair at WM) has my back and he decides they'll give me credit for this new class.

And then I have seminar again. I actually felt like I got stupider during the class. I'll be honest. That class is a waste of my time. I don't do the reading because I don't need to, and there's not that much to pay attention to in class.

BUT, I did do all of my homework for my classes Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday already (with the exception of the two reflection essays I have to write) so I'm more on top of my stuff than I am at WM.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun. My brains have dwindled trying to learn how to follow your blog but I think I am completely up and running now! Be careful and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete